Important Notice: Vaccination Law Update
On June 30, 2015, Governor Brown signed a new vaccine Bill (SB277). The law will take effect on July 1, 2016. This new law requires that all children in California be fully vaccinated to attend public or private school. Fully vaccinated means the 10 required vaccinations* currently required by the state.
The District is required to implement the new law and starting in 2016, SB277 will:
- No longer permit immunization exemptions based on personal beliefs for children in child care and public and private schools;
- Permit personal belief exemptions submitted by December 31, 2015 to remain valid until a pupil reaches kindergarten/transitional kindergarten or 7th grade (see attached waiver);
- Waivers can be turned into your school office on or before December 18, the start of Winter Break
- Waivers must be postmarked by December 31 and can be mailed to your school site
- Waivers may also be scanned and emailed by December 31 to email@example.com
- Remove immunization requirements for:
- Students in home-based private schools
- Students enrolled in an independent study program who do not receive classroom-based instruction
- students with medical and personal beliefs exemptions from any new immunization requirement initiated by CDPH for attendance at school or child care
- Allows for the enrollment of students who qualify**:
- For an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to access special education and related services (federal law and Section 56026 of the Education Code)
- As foster or and homeless youth (Section 48850 of the Education Code et seq.)
- As conditionally admitted pending full immunization within the time periods designated by regulation of the California Department of Public Health
**Students in the above categories will still need to provide immunization records to their schools before entry.
Please see the links below for additional information on SB277 and how it may impact your children.
Additional Resources for Parents and Families
Source: Shots For School, http://www.shotsforschool.org/
California Department of Public Health, Immunization Branch
Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org